An intensive 4-day training course, unique in Belgium
- Learn how to invest in startups by investors
- A high-quality training program in 8 intensive modules
- Topics for learning the mindset, the secrets and the techniques for successful investment
- For BeAngels members
- 1450€ HTVA
- For non-members
- 2450€ HTVA
Dates of the next training cycle
Our 8 training modules
Our formulas are based on the experience of our investors and provided by them; participants will learn all the basic concepts necessary to embark on their investments with a hands-on approach based on real cases.
Module 1 – The Investment Cycle
Complete overview of the typical investment cycle by a business angel, to provide a common base of understanding before addressing the subjects in greater detail.
Module 2 – Due Diligence
- Explain the benefits of a rigorous due diligence process as part of an investment
- Define the steps preceding the due diligence process
- Identify the available resources and apply the project-specific analysis methods
- Establish a consensus on the economic viability and the risk management
Module 3 – Valuation
- Understand the purpose of valuation for the parties involved
- What are the conventional valuation methods?
- Understand the limits of conventional valuation methods and adopt good practices
Module 4 – Negotiation: from Letter of Intent to Agreement
- Understand the process steps leading up to the shareholder agreement
- Understand the common clauses of the agreement
- Identify good practices for seed capital
Module 5 – Portfolio Management and Monitoring
- Making an investment decision
- Measuring the participation
- Monitoring your investment portfolio
- Investing in equity vs convertible debt
- Accretion plan – advantages and drawbacks
- Capitalization table: what does it look like and how to update it?
Module 6 – Key Principles of Good Governance
- How to establish an effective support relationship and the foundation for good governance?
- What does a startup’s board of directors look like and how does it work?
- How to create value as a director?
Module 7 – Refinancing
- Main challenges and focal points - project risk management
- When does refinancing generally make sense?
- How does it work? Impact of the exercise of pre-emptive rights
- New due diligence at the next round
Module 8 – Exit Preparation
- Rethinking the investment process with sufficient emphasis on exit
- How and why plan an exit strategy immediately after acquiring a shareholding?
- What are the different types of exit and what does the process look like?
- How to maximize the value of your portfolio by limiting losses and maximizing value at the time of the exit?
- How to manage unprofitable investments?
- How to make a “good loss”?
- Tax aspects - treatment of capital gain